Keeping the Intimacy Alive While Pregnant.
At some point in your relationship, you’ve both have thoughts of having kids of your own. Young love brings about a seemingly infinite but inspired love between the two of you. It seemed as if nothing would bring you apart. However, being pregnant can change such a dynamic due to the changes your body goes through, along with some concerns brought about misconceptions. We’re here to help you revive some of the lost intimacy between you and your partner.
Reasons why intimacy is lost during pregnancy
- Affects your mood and libido
- Poor body image due to sudden body changes
- Concerns about intercourse might affect your body and the baby
- Lack of communication
- A sudden struggle of the acceptance of being a mother
Solutions for Maintaining Intimacy During Pregnancy
- Should you want to make love, do it during the 2nd trimester
- Women usually have less libido on the 1st trimester due to an adjustment period
- 2nd trimester doesn't show much of a "baby bump", which may be a problem around the 3rd and 4th trimester
- Use lubricant to prevent any painful experiences during intercourse
- Vaginal dryness may occur due to shifting hormones
- Let your partner be aware that intimacy isn't only limited through intercourse
- Foot massages are a great example since they release oxytocin and induces arousal
- Open up more through conversation as to keep your partner "in-the-loop" of how you feel/what you want to do
- Mutual masturbation or just being naked in the same room can also stimulate intimacy
- Try to flirt as much with your partner
- Arrange a date night at least once a week with your partner and make the topics about each other
- Both of you should have the initiative to keep the intimacy alive
Pregnancy shouldn’t spell the doom of your intimacy in your relationship. Rather, let this experience be a catalyst of having a better bond with your partner and thus, having a stronger, more intimate relationship as time goes by.